RECIPES - RICE & PASTA top
• 1 1/2 Tblspns oil
• 1/3 cup toasted macadamia nuts
• 1/3 cup toasted, cashew nuts
• 1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds
• 1 Tblspn Moroccan seasoning blend
• 1 chopped onion
• 1 1/2 cups par-boiled rice or any long-grain rice
• 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 Tblspns chopped parsley
Place 1/2 Tblspn of the oil in a pot, add the onions and the Moroccan seasoning.
Cook over moderate heat for 1 minute. Increase the heat, add the remaining oil and the rice to the pot.
Stir to coat the rice well and add the stock. Stir until the mixture comes to the boil.
Reduce the heat, cover, and cook until all the stock has been absorbed. About 15 - 20 minutes
Stir in the nuts and the parsley and season to taste.
* Serve with lamb, chicken pork or beef
* Serves 4 as a side dish
CHICKEN, SPINACH AND BASIL LASAGNE
• 2 tblspns oil
• 2 rashers bacon, chopped
• 1 leek, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 kg chicken mince
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1/4 cup white wine
• 2 cups milk
• 1 cup cream
• 2 tblspns dijon mustard
• 1/2 cup grated parmesan
• 1 chicken stock cube
• 2 tblspns oil, extra
• 2 bunches spinach, washed
• 1 cup fresh basil, torn into small shreds
• 2 tblspns fresh oregano
• 1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs
• 1/2 cup grated parmesan, extra
• 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese.
• 1 packet instant lasagne sheets
Grease a large, shallow dish. Heat the oil in a a pan and add the bacon, leek, garlic and chicken mince. Stir occasionally and cook until the chicken is cooked. Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes. remove from the heat.
Combine the wine, milk, cream, mustard, parmesan and chicken stock cube. Stir into chicken mixture, return to heat and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
Heat the extra oil and add the spinach. Heat until the spinach is just wilted. drain and add the basil and oregano
Spoon, 1/3 chicken mixture over the prepared dish. top with the lasagne sheets , then 1/2 spinach mixture. repeat the layering.
Combine the breadcrumbs, extra parmesan and tasty cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the lasagne.
Bake about 1 hour at 190c
* Serves 10
VEGETABLE PASTA WITH MACADAMIAS
• 375g vegetable, spiral pasta.
• 2 tsps oil
• 1 sliced onion
• 4 cups, sliced vegetables eg. capsicum, carrots, beans, snow peas, zucchini
• 375 ml can of evaporated milk
• 3 tblspns wholegrain mustard
• 1 cup spinach
• 100g toasted macadamias.
Cook the pasta for about 7 minutes and drain.
Place the oil in a large pan, add the onion and the sliced vegetables.
Cook stirring 3 - 4 minutes, stirring every now and then
Add the evaporated milk and mustard and cook for 2 minutes
Add the spinach and simmer for 1 minute
Add the pasta and coat well.
Serve garnished with the macadamias.
CHICKEN & APRICOT PASTA
• 3 sheets, fresh pasta
• 8 green onions finely chopped
• 4 cups grated tasty cheese
• 1 large chicken, cooked, deboned & finely chopped
• 850g tin apricots, drained & chopped
• 2 tblspns grated parmesan cheese
• 3 cups milk
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 1 tblspns butter
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tblspns cornflour, mixed with a little milk.
Firstly, make the sauce. Place all the ingredients in a pot & stir over low heat until it thickens. Don't boil
Grease an ovenproof dish & layer : 1 sheet pasta, apricots & half the cheese, then,2nd sheet of pasta, onions & sauce. Top with remaining pasta sheet & sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake at 200c for about 20 - 25 minutes.
Rendle Web Services New Zealand